The Austin Home and Garden Show is right around the corner, and perfectly timed to get you geared up for all the projects that are on this year’s resolution list. Now is the time to prep for your spring projects, and the show has everything you need to put your plans into action.
Before Getting to the Austin Home and Garden Show
The fun begins before the doors open at the Austin Convention Center. Three days may sound like ample time for everything, but this is the largest home and garden show in the city. There will be thousands of square feet of vendors and displays all vying for your time and attention. Getting organized beforehand will help ensure you see as much as possible.
- Make a list of all the projects you plan to tackle in the coming months. For each, list out the type of materials you’ll need, the experts that can help you complete the projects successfully and questions you have about any part of the process. This will help keep you focused.
- Arm yourself with tools that can record everything. Your smartphone will be your best friend during the Austin Home and Garden Show. Make sure it’s powered up and there’s plenty of space to take loads of pictures and videos. Also consider downloading apps that help you keep track of everything. A few worth looking into are: Shot MeMo, Photo Measures (or D-Photo Measures for Android phones) and HomeSpot HQ.
- Start up a Pinterest board or Houzz account. These are great ways to organize things that interest you and you can even upload your pictures from the show. Check out the Timbertown Austin Pinterest page and Houzz page for ideas on how to set yours up.
During the Austin Home and Garden Show
Now that you’ve prepared and gotten everything together, it’s time to make the rounds at the show. Here’s how to make the most of the price of admission.
- Go early. You only have to pay once for all three days of the show, so plan to go on Friday rather than waiting until the weekend.
- Direct your attention solely to the things on your project list the first day. These are the things that matter most. Once you have them covered, then start checking out everything else.
- Speak up. Keep your list of questions handy and bounce them off of various vendors. This is your chance to get advice from the experts, so don’t waste the opportunity. Besides, they are there to share their knowledge.
- If you see something you like and will definitely need for a project, go ahead and get it now. Many of the vendors will be offering specials that are only available during the event. If you play your cards right, you could knock a significant chunk off your total cost.
- Touch, don’t just look. You can research products all day on the Internet and learn every last detail about them, but it’s still not the same as getting to see them in person. Go ahead and get hands on so you can get a feel for the product.
- Gather lots of business cards and make notes on them so you can remember the vendors and their products/services. This is a must if anyone offers to extend a special deal past the show dates.
- Recruit a friend or your spouse to give you a second opinion on things that pique your interest. Plus, it will be more fun if you have someone to share the experience with.
- Don’t miss out on the DIY seminars. Check out the schedule to see when seminars that relate to your projects will take place, and get there early to claim a front row seat. The seminars offer you an invaluable chance to see products in action and demonstrations from the pros.
The Need to Know Info
When: January 10th, 2014 – 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
January 11th, 2014 – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
January 12th, 2014 – 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Austin Convention Center
500 E. Caesar Chavez
Austin, TX 78701
Tickets: Adults – $8.50
Seniors (65+) – $6.50
16 and younger – Free
Active Military – Free
While you’re at the Austin Home and Garden show, come by the Timbertown Austin booth to learn about all of the latest trends and products available for your outdoor projects. Our knowledgeable staff will be present to answer any questions you have about deck construction and adding outdoor features that enhance the exterior of your home. We look forward to seeing you!
Image Source: www.flickr.com/photos/srboisvert/7182626734
Original Source: http://timbertownaustin.com/timbertown-austin-news-and-events/get-ready-for-the-austin-home-and-garden-show