Are hardwood floors on your Spring Cleaning list? Before you start, consider how your cleaning could impact the environment around you. Many products use harsh chemicals that dirty up the planet as much as they clean the wood on your floors. Instead of forgoing clean floors, opt for environmentally safe products instead.
Natural Ways to Clean Your Hardwood Floors
The movement to go green has led to a large assortment of environmentally friendly cleaners. Some of them can be mixed up right at home while others are packaged cleaners. The products below not only reduce pollutants that get poured out they also do a good job of cleaning wood floors and furniture.
- iQ Floor Cleaner is a non-toxic formula that is specially designed to clean all types of floors without leaving residue behind. All you have to do is spray hardwood floors with the cleaner and then mop it up. Bonus: it has a sweet papaya mango fragrance.
- Clean up little messes with Mrs. Meyers Lavender Surface Wipes. They are biodegradable and the perfect solutions for spot cleaning.
- Knock off dust and build up with Murchison-Hume “Everyday” Furniture Spritzer. It’s great for wood furniture but can be used on the floors as well.
- Weiman Eco-Friendly Floor Cleaner is one of the most environmentally friendly cleaners on the market. It’s plant-derived, biodegradable, VOC free, phosphate free and ammonia free. It’s safe to use on all surfaces, even ones that kids and pets traffic frequently.
- Honest Floor Cleaner is a 4-in-1 product – it cleans, shines, restores and protects wood floors using a chemical free formula. It also needs no rinsing so there’s less mess and water being used.
- You can mix up your own eco-friendly cleaner with one gallon of water, 1/8 cup of white vinegar and a 1/8 cup of natural detergent like Sal Suds Liquid Cleaner from Dr. Bronners.
- Another natural, affordable floor cleaning option is to add two teabags to boiling water, let them steep for a few minutes then use a rag to clean the floors with the tea infused water. The tea tannins will give hardwood floors a great sheen.
The greenest cleaners are those that are made with natural ingredients, are biodegradable and can be refilled so that bottle after bottle doesn’t have to be bought. At TimberTown Austin we encourage everyone to opt for natural cleaning products whenever possible. Read on for more eco-friendly wood cleaning products.
Image Source: flickr.com/photos/74783045@N00/